Santorini, also known as Thera, is a Greek island located in the Aegean Sea. It is known for its stunning sunsets, white-washed buildings, blue-domed churches, and pristine beaches. If you’re planning a trip to Santorini, here are ten things you must do to make the most of your visit:
- Visit Oia: This charming village is perched on the edge of the caldera and is one of the most picturesque places in Santorini. The narrow alleys, blue-domed churches, and white-washed houses are a sight to behold. Don’t forget to catch the stunning sunset from here.
- Watch the sunset in Oia: Santorini is famous for its sunset, and there is no better place to catch it than in Oia. The sky turns shades of orange, pink, and red, and the sun slowly dips below the horizon. It is a sight you’ll never forget.
- Visit the ancient city of Akrotiri: This Minoan city was destroyed by a volcanic eruption in 1627 BC and was preserved under layers of ash. It is often referred to as the “Pompeii of the Aegean” and is a must-see for history buffs.
- Hike from Fira to Oia: The hike from Fira to Oia is one of the most popular activities in Santorini. The 10 km trail takes you through small villages, past vineyards and offers stunning views of the caldera. It takes around 3 hours to complete the hike, and you can stop for a swim in one of the many beaches along the way.
- Visit the Red Beach: This unique beach is located near the ancient city of Akrotiri and is famous for its red sand and cliffs. The contrast between the red cliffs and the deep blue sea is breathtaking.
- Take a boat tour of the caldera: A boat tour of the caldera is a must-do when in Santorini. The tour takes you around the caldera, and you get to see the volcanic islands of Nea Kameni and Palea Kameni up close.
- Visit the village of Pyrgos: Pyrgos is one of the highest villages in Santorini and offers stunning views of the island. The village is home to the ruins of a Venetian castle, and there are plenty of tavernas and cafes to relax in.
- Visit the wineries: Santorini is known for its wines, and there are plenty of wineries to visit on the island. The volcanic soil gives the wines a unique flavour, and you can taste some of the best wines in the world here.
- Swim in the hot springs: The hot springs of Palea Kameni are believed to have therapeutic properties and are a popular spot for swimming. The water temperature is around 30-35°C, and the minerals in the water are said to be good for the skin.
- Visit the Museum of Prehistoric Thera: The museum is located in Fira and houses artifacts from the ancient city of Akrotiri. The museum has an extensive collection of pottery, sculptures, and frescoes that date back to the Minoan civilization.
In conclusion, Santorini is a beautiful island with plenty of things to do and see. Whether you’re interested in history, hiking, or just relaxing on the beach, there is something for everyone here. Make sure to add these ten activities to your itinerary to make the most of your visit to Santorini.